What we do
Four days a week (Monday - Thursday) from October through May, TMC Tutoring offers first, second, and third graders a safe place to be after school, a loving environment, homework help from dedicated volunteers, and a nutritious snack -- all at NO COST to parents or schools.
We have served early elementary students from the Toledo Public Elementary Schools in our neighborhood since 2001. In recent years, most of our students attend McTigue Elementary School, which is right next door to Toledo Mennonite Church.
Our primary mission is to serve first, second, and third graders who struggle in reading or math. We also have a mission to involve teens in service. Most of our tutoring staff are volunteers ages 14-18.
For information about enrolling your child, or about volunteering with the program, contact Scott Coulter at 535 2918 (area code 419).
Thank you to the Reynolds Corners Rotary Foundation, Ohio Conference of Mennonite Church USA, Toledo Mennonite Church, and everyone who contributes to our Quilt Show Fundraiser, for all of your financial support!
The impact of an after school program
According to the Afterschool Alliance (www.afterschoolalliance.org/aboutUs.cfm),
"Afterschool programs are critical to children and families today."
- "In communities today, 15.1 million children take care of themselves after the school day ends.
- "Just 8.4 million children are in afterschool programs--but the parents of another 18.5 million children say their children would participate in afterschool if a program were available.
- "A report on 21st Century Community Learning Centers (afterschool programs receiving federal funds) showed that 45 percent of all participants improved their reading grades, and 41 percent improved their math grades.
- "On school days, the hours between 3 p.m. and 6 p.m. are the peak hours for juvenile crime and experimentation with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes and sex.
- "Teens who do not participate in afterschool programs are nearly three times more likely to skip classes than teens who do participate. They are also three times more likely to use marijuana or other drugs, and they are more likely to drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes and engage in sexual activity.
- "Parents with children in afterschool programs are less stressed, have fewer unscheduled absences and are more productive at work."
TMC Tutoring is blessed to be a very small piece of a greater picture, by providing free afterschool tutoring to about 12-16 students from our neighborhood each year.
Come join us! Volunteer now, or plan to join us at our Quilt Show Fundraiser, Sept 26-27 at Toledo Mennonite Church.